Thank you for removing spam on BluWiki. Send me any spam URLS that you find, I've been blocking them that they can't spam the same site again. I'm also in charge of IP blocks, so if you find a repeat IP, let me know and I'll block that too. I've blocked 220.127.116.11 per your request. --Sam Odio 13:56, 25 September 2006 (EDT)
- Once again Thanks for helping to control spam! --KaiAdin 19:55, 19 August 2007 (EDT)
Nathan (talk) / 23:58, 19 August 2007 (UTC)
Thank you for your work cleaning up BluWiki. Because of your willingness to help around here, I've given you sysop powers. Please use them carefully.
For more information on the role of a sysop, see:
If you're not interested in these responsibilities, let me know and I'll remove the sysop privileges. Either way, thanks again for what you've done so far. It's definitely appreciated! --Sam Odio 02:43, 20 August 2007 (EDT)
Nathan (talk) / 15:00, 20 August 2007 (UTC)
- Oh yea, forgot to say welcome and such, so yup, welcome to the blwuiki team! --KaiAdin 06:45, 21 August 2007 (EDT)
Nathan (talk) / 14:36, 21 August 2007 (UTC)
Nathan - thanks for the intro, have been working on wikis since mid-2006 myself. I have a question for you about this wiki platform. Is this a series of wikis, or just one big one, with subdomain redirects? --Robotchampion 23:11, 30 August 2007 (EDT)
This one slipped through.--wildplum 00:00, 2 September 2007 (EDT)
Hi, I'm a teacher and I'm trying to give my students some experience with Wiki. Is there any way I can group their wikis all together in one place? Also, I wanted to know how security works with wiki. <18.104.22.168 (talkcontribs) 18:41, 11 September 2007 EDT.</small>
I was thinking, on the Main Page just some sort of an "featured article" kind of link to a page on bluwiki, but without the page looking like or sounding a featured article on wikipedia, just something thats Interesting that we may have found on our wanderings through Special:RecentChanges, Special:Popularpages or Special:Longpages or anything else for that matter.
With some sort of code like this to match the rest of the stuff on the main page (Title, a small picture 30px, and a short description, placed below the main table)
[[Image:Vela Wikiverse.gif|left|30px]][[Vela Referance Wiki]] Interrealm Community Wiki
--KaiAdin 07:18, 14 September 2007 (EDT)
Nathan (talk) 11:18, 14 September 2007 (EDT)
- I'd better ask Sam first --KaiAdin 17:08, 14 September 2007 (EDT)
Protected pages on Bluwiki: Rob
Hey Nathan, did you get an email from this researcher, to Sam, but forwarded to me
I'm enquiring about getting wiki's protected.
I'm a PhD student and I'm hoping to upgrade my research group website
from standard HTML editing to a wiki. There are over 30 people in my
group, all of which a doing different types of research and it's
important that all of this is on the web. Ideally I'd like people to
add their own research, instead of having to go through a couple of
HTML guru's in the group...hence I'm pointing my attention towards a
wiki and came across your nice clean site. In order to get people's
acceptance of this idea, I feel the need to prevent people outside
this group of 30 from editing the material, but I would like the
content viewable by anyone. Would it be possible to do this using your
service? The easiest implementation would be to only allow this user
account 'Atomtrap' to be able to edit.
I like your wiki site as it offers the ability to have a very nice
clean, uncluttered page using the /site/username address.
I very much look forward to your reply.
and it goes on from there, I don't think Sam's been around lately, so I'm not sure wither to reply or not, or even if he has replied already. Well basically, I know we don't have this functionality yet, and since Sam has the only access to the code, no can implement page protection, unless he does it. --KaiAdin 18:33, 15 September 2007 (EDT)
- Forgot to log in --KaiAdin 18:33, 15 September 2007 (EDT)
Nathan (talk) 18:43, 15 September 2007 (EDT)
- Well basically, the researcher is from the UK (@marchington.me.uk) and thats all there is on the email, well ill just say such functionality is unavailable at the moment but in development,but I doubt that someone would want to stick around and wait, too bad though, the advertisement free nature of bluwiki is draw for potential users --KaiAdin 18:51, 15 September 2007 (EDT)
- It's too bad. As a last resort, you could always send him to [[[User:Nathan|Nathan]] (talk) 18:54, 15 September 2007 (EDT)
- Ah ok, ill mention it to him, thanks --KaiAdin 18:57, 15 September 2007 (EDT)
Nathan (talk) 18:59, 15 September 2007 (EDT)
User:22.214.171.124 was blocked on 11th Sept 07 by you for 6 months, but he/she/it somehow managed to spam Talk:AliResources today. Have you had this problem? Ive seen it before too (I just thought i may have accidentally unblocked it), just after that problem with the site being down. --KaiAdin 15:41, 20 September 2007 (EDT)
Nathan (talk) 16:19, 20 September 2007 (EDT)
Zealous Page Deletion
You recently deleted the page JamieDeath with a note that it was a blank page. The page blanking was the result of recent vandalism and the page should have been reverted, not deleted. Can you please restore it? <126.96.36.199 (talkcontribs) 04:24, 24 September 2007 EDT.</small>
Hello! It's you! From Wikipedia Review? (Am I supposed to mention that on here?) I once was here, and now want to return. You have sysop powers here? Well, I would like to come back. I am jdrand, and have (shhh)
returned on the WR under a username theat I will not disclose. It is still ion validation, and I was just about to get impatient when you sent me the email. Thanks! Ionas (T) 23:59, 29 September 2007 (EDT)
Nathan (talk) 00:06, 30 September 2007 (EDT)
- How do you know? This is scary. Am I just too paranoid? Ionas Rand (T) 00:44, 30 September 2007 (EDT)
OK, thanks for the warning! Ionas Rand (T) 00:59, 30 September 2007 (EDT)
Removal of the word "faggot" on Slskindie page
Could you please let me know where this list of 'unacceptable language' you use as a guide is???
Or is it simply the word faggot??
I think you are being over zealous on this page and are deleting things merely because they are not to your liking. An explanation would not go amiss.
You would prefer we didnt?? Is this not a site that is free to use and apparently uncensored?
I dont see how you are following this "I set up the web site to let people say whatever they want to say. I especially don't feel it is the job of BluWiki to place a value judgment associated to the content posted here. If it is feasible (legally, practically, and financially) to host any content, I feel it should be hosted." <188.8.131.52 (talkcontribs) 07:17, 2 October 2007.</small>
- As I said on your talk page, if you had used your common sense and not used the word "faggot", which you know is an extremely offensive and pejorative term, I would not have had need to remove it.
- I'll have a word with some of the other admins to see if my actions were correct.
Nathan (talk) 12:49, 2 October 2007 (EDT)
Fine, I'd appreciate the restoration of the page elbakramer, with or without the word faggot. <184.108.40.206 (talkcontribs) 15:48, 2 October 2007.</small>
- (I tried to remove the edit in Fan-fkn-tastic where I was called a faggot, except I ended up corrupting the page's history. The page is still there though and restored.)
- Page !elbakramerNathan (talk) 16:01, 2 October 2007 (EDT)
What about Xindell's page?? Why was that removed?? As for the JamieDeath page, the IP you messaged deleted it through spite, after an argument with the person it is about. She did not want it removed so I suggest you refrain from doing so unless she asks you personally. I appreciate you reverting the pages you have so far, and do not expect further continued edits at your discretion. <220.127.116.11 (talkcontribs) 03:22, 3 October 2007.</small>
- That page has been restored. You certainly don't need me to tell you why I deleted it, do you? Look at what it says and put two and two together. Edits I reversed have been restored.
- In regards to the other page, if a page gets blanked, I'm going to assume the user wants it removed because I'm not a mindreader and I have no way of knowing. If I'm told otherwise, I restore it. It's that simple.
- I deleted pages because of the word faggot. I reverted edits because of the word faggot. I had good intentions in doing this (because I think that word should never be used) - and despite my infringing on the free speech of others, maybe you need to assume that I'm not doing these things for evil reasons. Obviously since I'm a sysop/administrator, maybe you should assume that I do have my reasons, even if you do not agree with them. It is not a requirement that you absolutely must agree with everything we do. We are human and we make mistakes just like everyone else on the planet.
Nathan (talk) 09:36, 3 October 2007 (EDT)
Nathan (talk) 02:00, 6 October 2007 (EDT)
I think its sort of been lost/diluted over the year(s!) here on Bluwiki, but I do like the personal touch on the policy page on Racist/Libelous comments derived from my comment on through the email. I remember long ago, before I was a sysop, reading a discussion by the 'old school sysops' the ones that have now drifted away onto other things, on one of the Bluwiki namespace pages, that the motto of bluwiki would be along the lines of "your wiki homestead" and the style of help pages was (more) personal in nature. Not sure where that page went or what it was called now.
But the old sysops seemed to have grander wikipedia style plans for the future, including user access permissions and, more rigid authority structures, which sort of contradicted the "homestead" idea. Any-who those plans may have not come info fruition but none the less that personal homestead nature of bluwiki does linger on in my opinion. --KaiAdin 21:03, 2 October 2007 (EDT)
- Actually re-reading the first sentence again now, it does seem contradictory what I said in the end. What I mean is that with the growth in users and the large growth in Spammers/vandals, more strict policy is needed and less community style help is done by admins, which is a shame In my opinion, but necessary none the less --KaiAdin 21:07, 2 October 2007 (EDT)
This guy's done nothing but vandalize myself and other's pages:
Thanks for looking into this! atomicthumbs 23:07, 7 October 2007 (EDT)
Re: The Spam I tagged
I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable yet doing anything but flagging the spam !! :)
You're the guy that does a super job of trying to keep them at bay !! I'll try to help out when I can.
JerseyBob 23:38, 14 October 2007 (EDT)
This vandal, again!
He gets unblocked and goes on a vandal spree: 18.104.22.168 (talk • cont. • logs)
Why do these people persist?
atomicthumbs 22:37, 25 October 2007 (EDT)
Nathan (talk) 22:40, 25 October 2007 (EDT)
Thanks. But there are seldom repeat offenders that come back and vandalize the same page. The problem is random people and bots who come once in a while and vandalize. 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11 are IP's who have vandalized 'Vendors' in the past. -- Eldmannen 14:08, 1 November 2007 (EDT)
- I am not sure, I think not. Vandalism is not all too common... -- Eldmannen 15:40, 2 November 2007 (EDT)
Hmm, looking at its history, it seemed to have been blanked before, (then deleted by you), so it must be assumed someone out there didn't find it flattering, so yes it would count as an offense against the 'personal attacks' policy. Also, noting the deleted versions (and the current version) are from the Slskindie group of users, who tend to write in that style. I would think deleting the page and blocking the IP acceptable. --KaiAdin 02:28, 6 November 2007 (EST)
Nathan (talk) 06:53, 8 November 2007 (EST)
Links to my article
Hi. Thanks for being to first person to sign on my signature book. And since you're one of the admin in Bluwiki, I would like to make a request. I understand that all links to freeweb<dot>com are blocked as it is under the spam list. However, I hope that any links from this website are not blocked on my article that I have created. The reason is that some of my stories that I have written (such as Haunted School and Friendship: The Complete Collection) are put up on this website: http://www.freewebs<dot>com/titanicbookcollection/. If you guys can't do it, it's okay.
Anyway, can you tell me why are freeweb<dot>com and some other website are considered as spam and how does it feels like to become an admin?Aranho 07:29, 9 November 2007 (EST)
- Hi KaiAdin here, on a technical note, you'd have to ask User:Sam Odio for an unblock request as hes the only one with coding privileges, but unfortunately its unlikely as many spammers use link to freewebs for spam. May I suggest that you transfer the actual story to Bluwiki? maybe on a separate page or such. --KaiAdin 08:22, 9 November 2007 (EST)
- Oh, if its an actual published book, thats obviously not possible, you might need to transfer to a different webhost then link to it here --KaiAdin 08:25, 9 November 2007 (EST)
- Thanks for both of your replies. Aranho 08:51, 9 November 2007 (EST)
- And it's not a published book. Aranho 09:35, 9 November 2007 (EST)