User talk:Sam Odio/29 Jun 2007
- 1 Site Suggestions
- 2 Random Comments
- 2.1 Reversing Vandalism and Protecting Pages
- 2.2 Subdomains
- 2.3 Aliross
- 2.4 Mail
- 2.5 Heads-up
- 2.6 Fairly massive transwiki request
- 2.7 Deletionisc
- 2.8 Please Block This IP.
- 2.9 I Love This Site (BluWiki) :-).
- 2.10 Please delete?
- 2.11 Duties
- 2.12 Shock Sites Mature Template
- 2.13 A Message For You.
- 2.14 Spammers?
- 2.15 Comments on My User Page.
- 2.16 Shock Sites
- 2.17 Reverts
- 2.18 Sysop
- 2.19 Hello again
- 2.20 Block Templates
- 2.21 Microchip08... :(
- 2.22 spammer
- 2.23 Hi Sam
Instead of PHPWiki, step up to DekiWiki, the Web 2.0 Media Wiki wiki.
Reversing Vandalism and Protecting Pages
Hi :) I see, from the bottom of some of the pages, it says 'Bluwiki is unique in that creators of pages can choose who edits their page'. I was wondering how I would protect my pages from vandalism, and also, how to reverse page-blankings?
Thanks! --Shocker 16:47, 22 March 2007 (EDT)
- If you give me the page title you want protected, I can protect them so that anonymous users will be unable to edit. Also, you can rollback page blankings by using the rollback feature - on the history page just click "compare selected versions" and then click "rollback" to undo the last user's edit. Hope this helps. --Sam Odio 22:02, 22 March 2007 (EDT)
I added something to the BluWiki talk:Beta page.
Oh, and by the way, thanks for making this free. It's fantastic, one of the only free Wikis that uses MediaWiki, which is by far the best. Thanks, Sam.
Rae ArdGaoth 01:20, 11 March 2007 (EST)
How do you remove the article  tabs at the right side of the articles for guest users? - Aliross
- Aliross, you can try "clean URLs" - i.e. giving your users the link http://bluwiki.com/site/Aliross --Sam Odio 01:16, 19 November 2006 (EST)
Got my mail? Lcarsdata 11:27, 1 March 2007 (EST)
- What mail? --Sam Odio 12:24, 1 March 2007 (EST)
Thanks for the info on the database check. We've wasted a lot of time on this site, too much to have the wasting go to waste. ~MF 16:45, 8 March 2007 (EST)
Fairly massive transwiki request
Sam, I'm running my own wiki here, and want to stick it here - but in order to import the XML sets, I need sysop access. Well, I don't want sysop access, really, but I don't want to copy and paste 152 articles, templates, and redirects by hand, either. You wouldn't have a suggestion for this, would you? --Dennisthetiger 19:20, 12 March 2007 (EDT)
Could you delete the pages Prototype RPG, Bub/s Images, and The No-Bub Club, and the image Image:Darfonwashere.PNG for me? They are abandoned projects of mine and I have already saved the content on these to disk. Bub 21:09, 26 March 2007 (EDT)
- Done! --Sam Odio 21:24, 26 March 2007 (EDT)
Please Block This IP.
Please block 22.214.171.124. He vandalizes, and imitates me, and attacks, and stuff... and he's a creep. Also, please delete my userpage, that he created, imitating me.
- FYI, while your identity can be found, it is easier if you sign your comments. You can do this by putting in four tildas (sp?) (~). Nerdvana 20:29, 28 March 2007 (EDT)
- Hey Sam, sorry to pull the he-said she-said routine, but I'd just like to call to your attention a couple previous edits on a page I had been using that got cleverly added by my buddy above. Check out: http://bluwiki.com/index.php?title=SimUpdates&oldid=115978 for dudeman's creative contribution to the page. Until that point, I really had no idea Metropolis existed and had just started using the page to log development on a bit of software. Try having your boss read that without fair warning. So if you permaban me, I really wont take it personally because I definitely did not respond in a mature manner, but you might want to send my buddy at 126.96.36.199 some love too, thanks. -188.8.131.52
Please stop stalking me.--Metropolisforever 09:11, 29 March 2007 (EDT)
- I've unblocked you. Any future vandalism from the following users or on the following pages will be blocked. --Sam Odio 03:24, 29 March 2007 (EDT)
I Love This Site (BluWiki) :-).
I am not the one who submitted this site for testing. I only submitted doom3.zoy.org for testing.--Metropolisforever 21:48, 29 March 2007 (EDT)
Woah someone should really get to deleting the pages in Category:Pages to delete. What happned to Bear?
--KaiAdin 07:00, 31 March 2007 (EDT)
Oh thinking about it now, if you want I could do it, since Bear left (read through the Blu Plate Diner...)
--KaiAdin 06:32, 2 April 2007 (EDT)
Hey, sorry to message you again, Am I allowed to Block people? Just wondering because, Evo Magazine Forum Wiki/go/Evo Magazine Forum Wiki/ and Evo Magazine Forum Wiki/ claims to be a place to add links to raise Google rankings, but its just full of porn and money spam
What length of time is appropriate as well? --KaiAdin 03:46, 4 April 2007 (EDT)
- Generally I block IPs for 1 year if they're definitely spam. You'll also want to watch the page, because usually they'll come back and spam again from a different IP. Oh, and if the page has only been used for spam, sometimes I'll protect it from anon edits. --Sam Odio 16:33, 4 April 2007 (EDT)
Shock Sites Mature Template
Oh yea, sure, i can do that. --KaiAdin 10:46, 5 April 2007 (EDT)
A Message For You.
1. Nobody has ever been fined for that.
2. It's only illegal if you trick somebody into viewing them.
3. Wikipedia does not have a mature content warning.
4. You are not making any sense.
5. The page already has several warnings.
6. If this was true, all shock sites would be illegal.
7. There are a million more reasons why you're not making any sense.
8. I can prove you wrong a million more times, if you'd like
Not to mention, the page basically, mostly IS a bunch of warnings, in of itself.--Metropolisforever
- Thanks, just go ahead and leave the mature warning up for me. Appreciate it! --Sam Odio 00:59, 6 April 2007 (EDT)
- Okay, I will leave it up. ^_^ I just want you to know that you cannot be fined and/or impisoned if somebody takes it down. The template is currently being used on three different pages at the moment. You really should add it to my Vandalism/Example on Wheels! page. Thanks! ^_^--Metropolisforever 12:27, 7 April 2007 (EDT)
Oh, Shocker already added it to the page... ^_^--Metropolisforever 12:29, 7 April 2007 (EDT)
I'm really sorry for doing all those bad things. =^_^= I'll never do them again, I swear! ^_^--Metropolisforever 21:03, 9 April 2007 (EDT)
Dunno what to make of these three (and possibly more) users User:184.108.40.206 User:220.127.116.11 and User:18.104.22.168, 90% of their contributions are Porn weblinks, and the other 10% weblinks to online dictionarys, Frees essays and all sorts of other odd links, It sort of looks like spam, but dosent have the usual spam vibe, I think ill block them, but I'm not sure if I should delete those pages, they could be making a porn wiki, but I doubt it, as the pages are not linked to each other... --KaiAdin 06:16, 7 April 2007 (EDT)
- Oh User:22.214.171.124 hasn't been posting porn ]http://bluwiki.com/index.php?title=Special:Log&type=block&page=User:126.96.36.199], so he seems innocent, wont block him just yet. --KaiAdin 06:20, 7 April 2007 (EDT)
- I probably wouldn't block them. Giving users the freedom to say whatever they want is an important part of BluWiki. However, like in real life, the freedom to say whatever you want doesn't give you the right to vandalize someone else's house.
- What this means is that I generally don't block users, unless they're vandalizing the pages of others. Generally, it's OK to link to your own site from BluWiki. But if you've added your own links to someone else's page, then that would be vandalism and is not ok.
- These guys, though, are the exception. I don't apply the "vandalism" test here. Instead, I revert the edits and block the IP for 1 year, regardless of whether or not they were editing a new page.
- Here are some unique characteristics of these edits, so you'll know what I'm talking about:
- They often hide the edits with the code <div id="ebalvasvrot" style="overflow :auto;height:1px;">
- They often make similar edits from several different IP address, with the intent of making it harder to block their contributions
- These edits will consist of nothing but 10-50 links
- What these guys are doing is installing viruses on the computers of innocent internet users, turning them into zombies. They then control hundreds of these computers and use them to make automated spam contributions on thousands of different sites.
- These guys have been vandalizing BluWiki's pages for a while, and as a result, I revert their edits & block them - even if their current contribs are not actually vandalism. They're just not welcome here. --Sam Odio 09:56, 7 April 2007 (EDT)
- Oh Ok, I get it now, I didn't really know what i was looking for before thanks, --KaiAdin 01:02, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
Comments on My User Page.
For some reason, you and Shocker have placed comments on my user page, instead of my user talk page. Can you please delete my user page, and move the comments to my user talk page?
Thanks! ^_^--Metropolisforever 18:32, 7 April 2007 (EDT)
- Done! --Sam Odio 19:53, 7 April 2007 (EDT)
WOW, this page is like a magnet for vandals!--Metropolisforever 11:15, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
- Would you like me to re-protect the page from anonymous edits? --Sam Odio 12:48, 9 April 2007 (EDT)
- Yes, please re-protect the page, because the page is vandalized by anynomous users, several times, every day.
Thanks! ^_^--Metropolisforever 19:39, 9 April 2007 (EDT)
Oh, yea, I had the Recent Changes open on a separate tab when I'm around on Bluwiki, and i had watched VGOC ever since I noticed their 'Improvement drive'. Dunno about User:188.8.131.52 but I think he/she has having a vandalising spree, so i just blocked him put an end to the mess before it got annoying. -- KaiAdin 06:03, 16 April 2007 (EDT)
Hi. I'm requesting Sysop access, so that I can police [my wiki 1] and [my wiki 2]. The first, once it goes live, will probably become a hotspot for vandals (it's a school site). And the fact that Sysop is a nicer word than Registered User...
Oh, and I'm glad I'm not the only person that has heard of Two Roads Diverged In A Yellow Wood!
Microchip08 08:17, 3 May 2007 (EDT)
With regard to Sysops, I'd rewrite the Wikipedia helppages, if that helps Bluwiki. I would help with things like the Main Page, but I'm not very good at template coding. :-). Microchip08 06:27, 7 May 2007 (EDT)
P.S. My Wikipedia Userpage can be found [here], if you're interested.
- By the way, my answer is yes to the question posted on my userpage. (Sorry if I sound(ed) slightly rude) Microchip08 08:27, 8 May 2007 (EDT).
Regards, Microchip08 11:19, 7 May 2007 (EDT)
This user is NOT fit to be a SysOp.
- :-(. I thought that Metropolisforever would find it amusing. Sorry.
- Blocked & added to filter, thanks --Sam Odio 12:41, 11 June 2007 (EDT)
Im a student at technical highschoon in Berlin/Germany and im trying to push my Classmates to some online-Groupwork. No idea if and how it will develop. Anyway I felt the need to send a BIG "Thank You Sam" to you for making and sharing the BluWiki! Friendly crushhug and greets from German Capital! --Gerd M. 11:24, 21 June 2007 (EDT)